How to Build Company Culture and Stay Connected
Humans crave connection and belonging.
For many, their work environment is an important channel that helps create connection in their life. With so many companies still working remotely, how does your crew stay connected while not together on the same ship? This matter has especially been forefront on our minds during this past stormy year.
Missing out on morning coffee chats, lunch runs, impromptu idea collaborations, end of day decompression. These opportunities for connection do not have to be tossed overboard for good.
How to stay connected when working remotely.
Continuing in a work-from-home environment indefinitely just means that company culture, or ways in which you show value for each other, must provide more support for our crew.
What we can do together should be done together, such as:
- Get together for a coffee chat via Zoom
- Plan intentional Lunch-and-Learns
- Schedule weekly time to reconnect as a whole team or organization outside of assigned projects
These kinds of opportunities help keep us connected and rowing in the same direction.
A page from our own logbook.
Each week, we hold a 30-minute standing Weekly Social Gathering and participate in fun activities that help grow and maintain our company culture. In case you’re looking for ideas to do the same, we thought it’d be helpful to share a few ways we’ve had fun with this.
- Play a game (Bingo, Taboo, 2 Truths and a Lie...just to name a few)
- Create a progressive story
- Pose a question and everyone answers
- Share a talent
- Welcome new members or just learn a bit more about each other
In addition to our weekly social hour, we have hosted guest speakers, played a virtual survival game, shared lunch time together, hosted a virtual baby shower and celebrated holidays with gifts and treats delivered to our crew members’ homes.
It may not look the same as in person, but it definitely helps keep us connected as we learn more about each other, and offers a welcoming port for our crew to unite.
Need a few more ideas?
Here are a few resources that may be helpful as you create new and meaningful ways for your teams to connect.
- Virtual Happy Hour ideas from Snacknation
- Virtual connecting ideas from Bizzabo
- Leadership resources from 15Five.com
- Empowering your crew with Workbravely.com
- Ways to recognize and reward employees with Blueboard.com
Have fun connecting!